Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Channeling Frida

I recently read Elsie Larson's tips for staying inspired and I was particularly taken with tip #2-Find a New Muse. I can't agree more that, when doing any kind of organized creativity, it is important to have a concept. At the same time, I can't seem to digress from Frida Kahlo, my life's greatest muse, as she seems to creep into all of my artistic endeavors and, of late, into most of the late-pregnancy looks that I've been struggling to put together. Especially lately. (At least for now, I refuse to live a day where I do not dress-please spare me any "wait until the baby is born" nonsense. This is currently non-negotiable.) So while I may take Elsie up on her other tips (Elsie after all is muse-worthy in and of herself), I think I'll keep Frida around for a while. I think I may even let her take over for a while. After all....

She refused to live by Coco Chanel's rule of taking off one accessory (could you die over that head piece?!:


Girl knew how to layer:


And oh, the colors. It's impossible not to think of Frida in those saturated reds and yellow, as though she lived her life in a brilliant Mexican shrine:


She never ceases to inspire me and I plan to let her for as long as she likes. Especially if it means that I'll continue wearing fringe booties with maxi skirts and lace shirts. <3 Thanks, Frida.

Love,
Jes

No comments: