Monday, October 10, 2011

Someone Was Looking Out...


About ten years ago, I was sort of a wayward girl living in Manhattan and going through a real "lady of the night" phase if I can call it that after a bad breakup with ye olde high school sweetheart. When I came home to hide out after September 11, my friend introduced me to this flippant boy who offended me and never deserved a second look until I saw him again months later and we were wearing the same shirt. In this new context, I knew I had to have him. So I got him. Between college classes, I wrote his senior year research paper on the relevance of celebrating Christopher Columbus (I got a B+ but it was totally an A paper) after he refused to do it. He came to New York and spent his last dollar to bring me ice skating. We walked around a lot and talked about things because we didn't have any money to do anything. I made him a wallet out of ketchup packets. He gave me a stuffed dog named James. I went to his prom and wore a red dress from 1955 that I bought and reworked for $12. He carried all of my shoes from West 27th St. all the way to the train when I moved home. Somewhere along the line, after refusing to let myself for a really long time, I fell in love with that guy and I married him two years ago today. Now I look at him sometimes and I wonder what I did in my past life to deserve him. If I were president, there would be a law that would make it mandatory for everyone in America to have someone that makes them feel the way he makes me feel. In other words, world peace. Man....I'm lucky.