Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Scents and Sensibilities



Pete is allergic. To everything. He recently went on a gluten-free white fish and potato diet thanks to his new homeopathic vet, which has made him seem a lot perkier and his skin is finally not weeping every other day. I recently realized that he is allergic to scented sprays, like Febrese, which I spray on the carpets almost daily. The fact that it's taken me this long to realize this makes me really sad, but I digress. Better late than never.

I researched options for natural home sprays and I came up with one that doesn't seems to hit any of Pete's known allergies and it makes the place smell even better than the stuff you buy at Target because it's not all weird chemicals. Here's my recipe:

* 1 oz gin (it smells like Christmas!)...you can also use rubbing alcohol or vodka
* 6 oz filtered water
* 20 – 40 drops of essential oil: peppermint is my fave (Bonus: it keeps bugs away)

Mix all of the ingredients together and spray away...but not into anyones' eyes...it's all fun and games until someone gets spritzed in the eye. Shake well each time before you spritz.I put this spray in a vintage plant spritzer that I bought at a garage sale, but a regular spray bottle would work too.

No comments: